Thursday, November 09, 2006

Thursday Thirteen

Thirteen Things I Learned from my Pop:

13) Never judge someone by one interaction. You never know what's going in their world.
12) Be patient.
11) Always say nice things, even when (especially when!) the dark & twisty side of me wants to come out and play.
10) Believe in the power of prayer.
9) That Education is invaluable. It could take me places, if I worked hard enough.
8) Dream. And then Believe in The Dream.
7) Loving someone sometimes hurts, but you get up and dust yourself off and try again.
6) That I'm a wife first and a mother second. I remember he told me this when Sweet Center was born. I've tried to follow it for nine years. I hope The Boys know that our love for them is made better by our love for each other.
5) Nothing beats a good movie and buttered popcorn for a little solid downtime.
4) Work Hard. No matter the job, do it right the first time.
3) Live One Day at a Time. You can't predict the future so there's no sense worrying about it.
2) How to Be Responsible for my actions.
1) That a Hug from someone you love is the greatest thing in the world.

Pop,
I'm not sure how to capture all the life lessons you have passed on to me. By your spirit and presence, I have learned many things that continue to shape the wife, mother, and person I am becoming. I am only beginning to understand the sacrificies you and mom made for us as a family. Thank you.
Here are the lyrics for the song I played for you at your 50th Birthday. It seems so like you and the love you have shared with me. I remember making you dance with me and it played on this old tape player that Aunt Crisi brought. You were so embarrased that I made you dance in front of everyone. Oh, how I love to hear you laugh like you did that day.

THAT'S MY JOB
Recorded by Conway Twitty
Writer: Hap Hall?

I woke up cryin' late at night - when I was very young
I had dreamed my father - had passed away and gone
My world revolved around him - I couldn't lie there anymore
So I made my way down the mirrored hall and tapped upon his door.

And I said, "Daddy, I'm so afraid!
How would I go on, with you gone that way?
Don't wanna cry anymore
So may I stay with you?"

And he said,
"That's my job, that's what I do
Everything I do is because of you
To keep you safe with me ...
That's my job, you see."

Later we barely got along - this teenage boy and he
Most of the fights it seems - were over different dreams
We each held for me ...
He wanted knowledge and learning - I wanted to fly out west
"Said I could make it out there - if I just had the fare
I got half, will you loan me the rest?"

And I said, "Daddy, I'm so afraid
Theres no guarentee in the plans I've made
And if I should fail, who will pay my way back home?"

And he said,
"That's my job, that's what I do
Ev'rything I do is because of you
To keep you safe with me ...
That's my job, you see."

Every person carves his spot - and fills the hole with life
And I pray someday I might - light as bright as he.

No comments: