Wednesday, February 21, 2007

balance

Sir Toots' fever broke yesterday early morning so he spent the day half on the couch and half in my office wanting to help me work. How do you explain that as cute as you are, it's probably not going to get me to the finish line any faster?

But, the dagger was truly thrown this morning. He was much better and no longer contagious so he really needed to get back to school. Friends, learning and all that important stuff. Plus, you know, Mama's gotta work. So, I'm' helping him get dressed in his uniform and he looks at me dead in the eye and says, " I hate school. It's too long." and then begins to cry. Now, this wouldn't be earth shattering news if I hadn't recently started to struggle with my mommy guilt over leaving him in daycare until around 5p everyday. I'm home and so I think I should be picking The Boys up around 3p. Only problem is that I really do have to work. And I can't talk on the phone if they are running around screaming. I tried it. Once. That was enough to convince that 5p really isn't that late. But then I get to thinking how that's like 9 hours. A super long time if your 4 and not feeling in tip top shape.

So, I promised I would pick him up early. No, not nap time early. But definitely before the usual time. Now, I just have to figure out how to get work done. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awwww....Poor guy. I hate work, too. It's too damn long. (And I get to say that, because I'm a grown-up. Can I burst into tears now, too?) Perhaps you can try to institute a no running, yelling, or disturbing Mommy policy (unless something is on fire or someone is bleeding) between the hours of 3 and 5 pm. With the caveat that, if said policy is not followed, there will be no choice but to sentence the runners and yellers back to school/daycare. If that works, let me know, and I'll try some sort of variation on my boss.