Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Colts Win! and Sweet Center explores the WWW

YEA COLTS! Superbowl 41 was totally awesome! The Boys got their Colts shirts and were all revved up for the game. Man, it was fun!
Okay, now that that's out of the way....
I totally cannot get my mind around Sweet Center being on the internet. He has to do some homework and state test prep, so I get the need for school stuff. But he likes going to another site where there are other children his age. It's very cool and there are lots of things to do.....but, I worry about the freaks out there. Hubba Hubba and I talked to him about "the ugly on the inside people" and how they might ask him personal information. He knows not to share his name, location and other vital stats. I just struggle with those people who are out there for the sole purpose of talking to boys his age. It totally creeps me to think about some jerko getting his kicks talking to a 9 year old kid. I know we have to be vigilant and stay on top of where he's going and truthfully I would rather he be on my mac since it's wireless and he can sit at the kitchen table and I can see him.

When I was a kid (yea, that makes me sound OLD and it totally sounds all freaky mommish) we didn't have this worry. On top of everything else, there's this. We have parental controls in place and filters galore, but it was so much easier when his biggest concern was making sure he could find his scooter so I could watch him play with the neighborhood kids. Refferering over a favorite toy or a basketball game was SOO easy. I wish I had appreciated it more. Now, now, comes the hard part.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachel and Matt;

Uncle Gene and Aunt Kerry want to wish you a very happy 10th wedding anniversary. It seems like just yesterday we were traveling to Indiana for the wedding. Where does the time go? Love you both.

P.S. Congratulations on "your" Colts winning the Super Bowl. Look out next year...the Packers are going all the way (Brett is back).

Anonymous said...

Keep talking & talking to Jacob. He is such a trusting soul. The primary concern is always his safety and yes, the wireless in the kitchen is the very place he should be.
Love to you all.
Randy