Sunday, August 27, 2006

The 3-2 theory

Or as I like to call it, a Working Mother's Philosophy.
The idea is that a woman can do 3 things, but only 2 of them really well at any given time. I believe it's what we call a "juggling act" in this play of life. So, I have 3 roles to perfect at any given time.
1) Wife and Mother 2) Worker 3) Student

Hubba Hubba is aware that Wife used to be it's own role. Now, with school added into the mix, he gets lumped in with the boys. He's okay with it. As long as it's temporary. Besides, he gets the option to yell "SAN ANTONIO!" Which basically means that he feels neglected and I need to put something on the back burner and go away with him like a very memorable trip we once took sans The Boys. San Antonio is our key word to each other that we need to reconnect. It means to me that I have to refocus on him and put something else aside. Even if it just means that we hang on the couch wrapped around each other like two little monkeys. For him, it means that the video controller has to be turned off and he has to look at me for at least 20 minutes of conversation. Boy, he loves that! But, it's worth it. Because if Hubba Hubba and I aren't right then all the other roles suffer.

As for Mom, Worker, and Student roles, I have to just try and balance it out as the moment arrives. This evening we spent in the sandbox making Feet Castles and then dancing as The Boys took turns in the shower. It was too fun to watch Sir Toots play air guitar and have Sweet Center do a dance a la Britney Spears in the water. It was a sight! Work will wait until they go to bed. And school will wait until work is accomplished tomorrow. See, it's a juggling act. Which fire is burning and what needs immediate attention.

Mom role is the most imporant of the three, of course. See, the boys don't have a phrase like 'San Antonio'. They just look at me and ask to play. I have to decide if what I'm doing is worth making them wait. Sometimes it is, like when I'm on a conference call and other people expect me to have semi intelligent things to say. I can't very well toss the football and answer questions that will justify my salary at the same time. But, when I'm answering email, then I will leave it and go make some memories.

My mother in law told me once,'They won't remember the dirty dishes in the sink, but they will remember if you played with them or not'. I think going with the 3-2 Working Mother's Philosophy means that they won't remember whether it was a work thing or a school thing, they'll just remember that I spent time with them when it counted.
So, excuse me, I'm off to hear about Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix. Everything else will have to wait.

No comments: