Monday, November 17, 2008

It's all Good

If you know me, then you know that I ask a lot of questions...and talk a lot. I do. and I know this about myself. I have spent the last several years asking questions and talking about my religious upbringing. Being raised Southern Baptist can leave a bad taste in your mouth, if you ever make it to the other side. I remember when Hubba Hubba and I were dating and talked about religion. He told me that I didn't have to believe what I was taught growing up and that it was okay to ask questions. That sounded scandalous to me! I wasn't allowed to ask questions...just Believe! and if I had doubts, for goodness sakes, I was supposed to pray harder and keep them to myself.

Eventually I decided that I had too many questions that didn't have answers and I let my spiritual side go into hibernation. Well, it's back and boy has it been thinking!

I've researched Buddhism, Judaism (with a little Kabbalah thrown in for fun) and other religions. None seem to fit where I was or what I was looking for in my spiritual life. I've started to meditate and taken bits and pieces with me from every religion I've studied, but none seem to really "speak to me" in a way that I thought was relevant to my life and the lessons I want to pass on to My Boys.

Then I picked up a book "Finding a Church for You" and read all sorts of history on Christian religions in the US. It was a great book and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

It led me to Catholicism. Yes, Catholicism, of all things! Who would have thought I would find answers from the church that seems so out of date that they don't let their priest marry and forces them to wear funny clothes? Well, I have found some serious answers and best of all, I have found a parish that is open and inviting to people of all walks of life. Father Henry was ordained in the 70's and as he told me last week, "We just figure it's all good and as long as we talk about the love of God, then we can work the rest of it out as we go along." I like that idea.

So, I've started taking classes to join the Catholic Church. I still have questions, but now I have answers too. Answers that I haven't found anywhere else. I know the Church has issues; hell, they have a lot of issues! But I enjoy the symbolism and I enjoy Mass on Sunday mornings. I enjoy hearing that basically we are an okay bunch of people that need to work through the grace of God on helping those around us who aren't so lucky.

Mostly, I've enjoyed learning about myself and my relationship with Christ. At the end of it all, for me, that's what it's about. Finding peace and enjoying this new love I have for my relationship with The Trinity. The mystery that we are so loved and how to share that love with others through the things we can (and must) do for others to make their lives easier.

I get queasy when the Catholic Church goes all crazy over abortion and doesn't focus on helping those who are here now, but I know that my parish does do those things and welcomes everyone.

This past Sunday I was Welcomed into the Church at a ceremony. My sponsor is a great lady from Argentina whom I adore. When we were walking back to our pews after the ceremony, she leaned over and whispered "Welcome Home" and it felt just perfect to me.

No comments: