Thursday, December 14, 2006

Thursday Thirteen

This week it's what I love about the holidays in Texas:

13. It's 60 outside so all the children can go out and play!
12. All the lights are up on our street and it looks a Winter Wonderland. Did I mention it's 60 outside? Yes, well...that means we can WALK to look at all the lights.
11.The main holiday theme here is "Cowboy Christmas". Have you ever seen Santa in a ten gallon hat and spurs? It's very cute on top of the big tree by the big mall.
10. There's a sale at every store at the big mall and that means I can actually get all the presents The Boys have asked Santa for this year.
9. The friendly people at my local Toys R Us. I'm not kidding! They have been so helpful when I've been looking at stuff. One told me to come in at 8 this morning to check on the scooter that Sweet Center REALLY wants. He offered to give me his number and told me that I could call if I couldn't make it in and he would hold one for me.
8. The man in the neighborhood down the street has the most amazing display of lights synched to carols. It's the coolest thing to The Boys grinning as the watch it. And you know, since it's so warm we can roll down the windows in the car. That's nice.
7. I really do think that people are nicer here. I haven't had any issues with out of control shoppers. It's almost weird how polite everyone is being.
6. I believe the warm weather deserves another mention. :)
5. Being close to family. We get to see my 'country kin' this weekend and I hear Uncle Pete has oiled up all the machinery and the horses are ready for rides on the ranch. The Boys are going to have so much fun! Where else but the country can a 9 year old drive a truck that says "Texas Department of Mental Health and Retardation"? I'm so not kidding on this! It's hilarious to see Sweet Center behind the wheel with that emblem on the door!!
4. Listening to the all Christmas music station. It's total carols all the time.
3. Working on our list of things to do every night between now and Christmas. Baking cookies and watching a Christmas movie are on for tomorrow night. Sunday we are making our cards. It helps to get in the spirit since there is no snow on the ground.
2. Knowing that this coming year is going to be even better than 2006- Hubba Hubba has promised me a true vacation for our anniversary. I know it doesn't really have anything to do Texas Christmas, but it makes me happy to think about.
1. Being with The Boys as the watch boxes get unloaded from the UPS truck and realizing that they are presents from Grammy and Gramps! Oh boy!
Me: It looks like we're moving!
Sir Toots: We're Winners! Look at our prize. Everyone else is Losers!
Nice holiday spirit deep in the heart of Texas, huh? :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm still laughing! Everyone else is DEFINITELY losers! My tummy hurts from all of the laughing. Hee-hee.
-Auntie Zeus

Anonymous said...

My roommate Sara says (re: Caleb): "Write the networks. That kid needs his own show." ;)
-Auntie Zeus (still laughing)

Anonymous said...

How about a picture of Sweet Center driving the very appropriately defined truck??
Grammy