Sunday, October 08, 2006

That is so Magic!

Well, we have a new catchphrase in the house. Sir Toots says "That is so Magic" for any new and exciting thing he encounters. I picture a scene straight out of Swingers (you know, where they say "that's so money") and can almost see him standing there as a grown man saying that to his buddies as he scans the scene. It's wonderful the things they come up with at his age. The cuteness is insurance for when they run away from you at the state fair and you must scan a crowd to find him standing five feet away in front of Big Tex. You remember the cute so that you don't overreact to the random acts that drive you crazy, I guess.

His brother, on the other hand, just needs to learn how to properly shower. Sweet Center wants to grow his hair out. Fine, I say, your curls look cute around your ears. But you really have to wash your hair everyday. Well, what we didn't realize is that it is necessary to tell a 9 year old that a real true shower includes soap and shampoo. When I watch him scratch his head and his hair stands STRAIGHT UP! then it means he didn't heed our advice. Hubba Hubba and I have pantomined the proper way to get clean. Hopefully it will take effect before he scares away the nieghbor children. I told him that grooming and other such silly things have been an age old discussion with sons and moms. "I bet Jesus and his mother even talked about what she would do if he didn't wash his hair. I bet she threatened to cut it all off, too." Dammit if that boy didn't look right at me and say, "well, I guess we know how that went since Jesus had long hair." Sarcastic comments come off without a hitch if he manages to slip his hand into mine and grin all the while.

Update on the fair and my birthday***
we had a blast at the fair. The Boys and I got off to a late start b/c Sir Toots thought it would fun to play with my work computer and remove the little card that holds ALL of my account information in my old car. You know, the one that was sitting at the dealership 52.4 miles away. We had to make a run to get it before festivities could properly start. We ate corny dogs and rode up in the big ferris wheel. Other than our small scare with Sir Toots mentioned earlier, it was a magical day with just me and The Boys.

As for my birthday, I was sleeping soundly, as one is likely to do at 6:30am, when my door was thrown open. I jerked up in bed to see Sir Toots holding a dozen roses with this huge fire above his head. Hubba Hubba made cinnamon buns and put candles in them so that I could make my birthday wish before even getting out of bed. I got to open my cards and presents while savoring my breakfast. The Boys had as much fun as I did with it. My cards were very sweet and appropriately signed with hand outlines and signatures to treasure for years to come. Hubba Hubba even put a new cd in my player and put a sticky note that said "Play Me" so that I wouldn't go straight to ESPN when I got in. It was a cd of Snow Patrol that I have wanted forever. It's perfect music for driving around town and I highly recommend it. Later the day he managed to put a card in my seat that was so sweet I had the thought that someone else helped him pick it out. How wonderful is to be told that you are someones 'Heart Contentment'? All in all, it was probably one of my best birthdays ever.
My Boys, they are definitely so Magic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I love reading these posts. I can only imagine the scenes at the house...but I can see the smile from Sweet Center that goes from ear to ear but never exposes any teeth and see the way Sir Toots will lift his eyes while he says "that is so magic". And I don't want to imagine him doing that as a grown man yet...I just want him to be 4 for now.
Mom